Mist And Murk On Kinder

Well, it’s been a bit of a mad week and looking back on it, the most peaceful night I’ve spent over the last 6 or 7 days, was in fact Saturday night on Kinder. A brief oasis of relative calm sandwiched in between a horrendous bout of painful toothache and a rather nasty, horrid, coldy lurgy.

James arrived chez nous in time for lunch on the Saturday – bringing with him his own ginormous cheese and onion pastie – and shortly afterwards, we set off for a wander up Kinder.

The weather was decidedly misty and murky.


The normal, sweeping vistas were nowhere to be seen.

Our original plan was to go up to the plateau via Peter Nook Wood and then Mermaids Pool, but for some reason that I can’t remember at all, on reaching the bottom of William Clough we decided to go up there instead, ascending to the top from Ashop Head.


We didn’t see many people and of course those that we did pass, were by now on their way down.

Reuben was having fun; I don’t think he’s that fussed about what the views are like.


Once on the summit, we then decided to just kind of wander over in the general direction of Fairbrook Naze and pitch up when we found a suitable spot.

We stayed clear of the edge paths and set off through the general, summit squidgy-ness instead.



One thing I do like to try and make sure of when wild camping, is that I’m near a handy water supply. I like to start the evening with 4 litres of the filtered stuff – or 5 litres if I’ve got a dog with me. I regularly get through a litre overnight – having a sip or two each time I stir – never mind the amount of tea I drink.

Anyway, there was certainly water a-plenty on this trip, no need to hunt it out.


And for a while, it even looked like the sky might clear.




But it didn’t last.

Now, back on 22nd July in 1954, there was a tragic RAF accident in this area. Two Sabres, out on exercise, crashed, killing both pilots. There is some doubt as to what exactly happened. The official inquest indicated that they crashed into the Northern Edge of Kinder, whilst trying to climb over it, but there was also apparently a witness who said that they actually collided with each other in mid-air. Whatever happened, the bulk of the wreckage can still be seen down on Ashop Moor, but there are also fragments up on the plateau, these being some of them:


They aren’t too far from these rocks:


Some years back, when I was still active with Kinder MRT and out on an overnight search on the plateau one night, a fellow team member was quite shaken up when he came across a,

‘…guy in what looked like an airman’s uniform, just standing near the rocks, staring at me. And when I went over to investigate, he appeared to just disappear into thin air and I couldn’t find any trace of anyone.’

I’ve no reason to disbelieve what he said – in fact he was so put out by it, it was some weeks before he dared tell anyone about the experience.

And another friend – Yuri – only recently had a spooky experience in the same area, whilst wild camping one night.

Anyway, we didn’t go too far, before we settled on a nice spot. It would appear, that with all the re-seeding work etc that Moors for the Future have been doing, many of the spots that would have once been bare peat, now seem to be rather pleasant, flat-ish, grassy spots. Unfortunately, it was dark by the time we got the tents up, so I didn’t do any photos of them ’till the next morning. In fact, I forgot to take a photo of mine at all.

Going to filter water in the mist and dark, I was very aware of taking careful note of which direction I was wandering off in – I didn’t want to turn around and realise I couldn’t find the tents again! And they were actually surprisingly difficult to see until you were practically right on top of them. I must get some of those nifty light sticks that give off a nice glow in the dark – that would no doubt help a bit.

Well, there were no spooky experiences in the night. There was some stereo snoring coming from James’ tent at one point, but I slept pretty well until I awoke at around 4am with my tooth hurting again, a headache, a sore throat, full of catarrh – in fact, feeling pretty rough all round. A couple of co-codamol later and I was once more out for the count until 8:30am, but it was still all too obvious that I was coming down with something.

And when we finally surfaced properly, it was a bit disappointing to see that the previous night’s mist was still hanging around. Expansive views were once again going to be in short supply.


We packed up at a leisurely pace.



Feeling the way I did, I just fancied taking a pretty direct route home and with the weather the way it was, James seemed more than happy to do the same, rather than going off a-wandering for a few hours.

So, we trolled back through the squidgy-ness, picking up the edge path, and then coming down Sandy Heys.



The views did clear a bit as we dropped below the cloud.


And so as to avoid the tedious road walking from the filter house down to Hayfield, we picked up the route across to Park Hall and Little Hayfield instead, approaching our house through fields on the northern side of the village.


And it was straight back to instant chaos, as when approaching home I got a phone call from Geoff, wanting me to go and pick him up as he’d had three punctures and was now by the side of the road with his bike in bits….

But thanks go to James and Reuben for providing one evening of calm, in an otherwise manic week.

And their version of events, can be found here.


17 thoughts on “Mist And Murk On Kinder

  1. Those light sticks are good – I used them in the Arrochar Caves. I also always carry an emergency yellow one in my bag – more for keeping me company if I get benighted for signalling to the MRTs! 😉

    I, too, have come down with a very similar lurgy – definitely something horrid going around. Of course, being asthmatic, it hasn’t done me a bit of good and, although I’m still struggling into work (with no voice and tons of catarrh which must be horrid to listen to), I’m back on the steroids once more 😦

    Hope you feel better soon. You got some lovely photos despite the weather,


    1. Thanks, Carol. I do feel as though I’m on the mend now, but I’m not going on the 35 mile bike ride today (Wednesday) that I was supposed to be doing! I even resorted to sleeping in the spare room last night, as I was coughing so much. Hope you’re soon off the steroids 😦

      I’ve already looked up some of the light sticks on the internet – they’re not exactly expensive are they? I did think about getting some last winter but just never got round to it.

      A nice coloured glow in the tent could be rather atmospheric 🙂


      1. Don’t forget you can’t put the light out once you’ve started it off so you might want a more subdued colour than bright yellow for nights in the tent. There’s a nice green 🙂 You can get them in most of the outdoor shops too if that’s easier.


  2. If Wyatt Earp the Boxer and I lived closer, I’d bring you some homemade chicken soup with lots of carrots. It’s just the thing for colds and just about anything. :^) Loved the spooky story about the pilot. Take good care of yourself and feel better soon!


    1. Thanks Karen – that soup sounds absolutely delicious! Geoff used to make a homemade chicken soup occasionally, but it’s years since he last did one. Might have to put in a request now you’ve reminded me about it! 🙂


    1. It’s been a bit of a nasty lurgy to be honest, Dawn. Just about to have my first afternoon’s wander since then, today. Decided I probably have a diet that consists of too much chocolate and not enough fruit – not the best for the immune system!
      Still, it was nice to get out for a quick camp!


  3. How lovely photos You presented here. It was a great joy to make the trip thru Your photos. My wife and his father has have two boxers and that is why we enjoy Your post very much.

    Btw, two week ago I could not make comment, because there was heavy flickering when I tried.


    1. Thank you! It was a bit cold for Dixie to spend the night out this time 😦

      Dixie had her 13th birthday last week, so she is quite elderly now, but still trying to skip about like a puppy!

      Hopefully the website is behaving itself again now 🙂


  4. You managed to sneak that blog post out without me noticing somehow!

    It was worth the night out just for those 5 mins when the mist cleared and everything went golden in colour 🙂

    Hope your feeling better now. I have perked up a bit this evening.


    1. You were obviously too busy slaving away at the beginning of the week – unlike me…
      Yes, it did briefly all go a nice, golden colour. I didn’t get a good photo of that moment, but I seem to remember you did.
      Feeling quite a bit better thanks, but still rather headachey and coughing well. Hope your version of the lurgy doesn’t spoil your weekend.


  5. Sorry to hear you’ve not been well. Had to dig out a map to reacquaint myself with some of the place names you used (Sandy Heys for example), made me feel quite nostalgic.


    1. Not sure when you were last over here, but 20 odd years ago the Sandy Heys path – although used – was hardly visible on the ground. As far as I’m aware, it’s never been marked on a map, so it was only walked by people in the know. Now, it’s joined the ranks of hillside paths that are visible from quite a distance. Not too bad though, and although pretty steep in places, a relatively direct route up to the plateau from the Hayfield side.
      Don’t you find that the older you get, those nostalgic feelings keep creeping up on you more and more?
      And in answer to something you said on your blog, I am soooo glad not to be involved in this new Primary Curriculum…….


  6. And now I’m down with something nasty. Headaches and high temperatures….
    Always enjoy these virtual peak wanders. Like Mark I get nostalgic as I walked extensively in the Peak in my University days and when I lived near Derby so I like following the routes on the maps and re-living my own memories.
    Always amazes me that you seem to find such good camp sites as my memory of the Dark Peak is peat bog and heather
    Oh and your blog is still doesn’t work on my iPad – very strange!


    1. There seems to be a lot of these nasty lurgies about – don’t think I passed it to you via the blog though!
      You need to come back up here for a night out and retrace some of those old routes 🙂
      Kinder does seem to have improved in recent years with the reseeding work that’s been going on; we were camped on a positive lawn!
      Sorry about your iPad……


Sadly, I've felt the need to reinstate comment moderation. Please be patient, your comment may not appear immediately but you shouldn't have to wait too long! Chrissie

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s